Spousal Support

Columbus Spousal Support Attorneys

There is no set formula for Ohio spousal support (often called alimony or spousal maintenance). Because judges tailor their spousal support awards to the specific needs and abilities of a couple, it is important to have a strong advocate on your side — someone who can help the courts take into account matters like the duration of your marriage, your current position and the sacrifices to your career made during the marriage.

The experienced Columbus spousal support lawyers at Farlow & Associates, LLC, are well qualified to advocate for your interests in spousal support hearings. Our founding attorney, Beverly J. Farlow, was one of the first lawyers in Ohio to be designated as an Ohio State Bar Association Board-Certified Family Relations Law Specialist. When you want an attorney with experience, common sense and the motivation to succeed, contact us.

How Is Spousal Support Determined?

There are two types of spousal support/alimony in Ohio: temporary spousal support, which is used to provide for the supported spouse during divorce proceedings, and final support.

Spousal support is often determined by the judge. Some courts use one year of spousal support for three years of marriage, but this formula is certainly not required. In fact, spousal support varies from judge to judge and county to county. Each case is separately determined with no set, uniform standard. Judges will look at a number of factors, such as:

  • The duration of the marriage
  • The income of both parties
  • Each party’s contribution to the marriage
  • The ability of each spouse to be self-supporting
  • The ages and medical condition of each party
  • The standard of living enjoyed by the spouses during marriage

Spousal Support Modification

Spousal support can be rehabilitative and set for a finite duration, or, in cases involving long-term marriages, it can be permanent/indefinite. However, even a permanent spousal support award may not be life-long. When circumstances substantially change, some individuals can request a modification of spousal support.

Some spousal support orders are non-modifiable. Every divorce decree or spousal support order must say if a court will retain jurisdiction. If your decree/order is silent on the issue, you will probably not be able to bring a motion to modify.

If the court that issued your divorce decree or spousal support order retains jurisdiction over that order, then you may bring a motion to modify with the court. The court can look at both the amount of the award and its duration. Courts will only modify spousal support when one party can show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances, such as job loss or remarriage.

Contact Our Dublin, Ohio, Alimony Lawyers

At Farlow & Associates, LLC, our clients expect prompt and attentive legal services — and our Dublin, Ohio, alimony attorneys provide it cost effectively. To talk to us about your legal concerns, please contact us by calling 614-734-1270.